The field of project management has taken tremendous strides forward in the past decades. In today’s competitive environment it is crucial to deliver quality products on time and within budget. It is not surprising then to see that project management has become a hot topic.
This chapter intends to provide an overview of project management concepts. The reader is made familiar with the definition of a project and its attributes, the project life cycle and the nature of the project management process, encompassing the basic managerial functions of planning, scheduling and control.
- Scope and relevance of project scheduling
- The project scheduling process
- Classification of project scheduling problems
- Temporal analysis: the basic deterministic case
- Temporal analysis: advanced topics
- The resource-constrained project scheduling problem
- Project scheduling with multiple activity execution modes
- Stochastic project scheduling
- Robust and reactive scheduling