That’s what we want students to exclaim after they become acquainted with our subject. Our lives revolve around organic chemistry, whether we all realize it or not. When we understand organic chemistry, we see how life itself would be impossible without it, how the quality of our lives depends upon it, and how examples of organic chemistry leap out at us from every direction.
That’s why we can envision students enthusiastically exclaiming “It’s organic chemistry!” when, perhaps, they explain to a friend or family member how one central theme—organic chemistry— pervades our existence. We want to help students experience the excitement of seeing the world through an organic lens, and how the unifying and simplifying nature of organic chemistry helps make many things in nature comprehensible. Our book makes it possible for students to learn organic chemistry well and to see the marvelous ways that organic chemistry touches our lives on a daily basis. Our book helps students develop their skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and analysis—skills that are so important in today’s world, no matter what career paths they choose. The richness of organic chemistry lends itself to solutions for our time, from the fields of health care, to energy, sustainability, and the environment.
After all, it’s organic chemistry!
Guided by these goals, and by wanting to make our book even more accessible to students than it has ever been before, we have brought many changes to this edition.
- The Basics Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Families of Carbon Compounds Functional Groups, Intermolecular Forces, and Infrared (IR) Spectroscopy
- Acids and Bases An Introduction to Organic Reactions and Their Mechanisms
- Nomenclature and Conformations of Alkanes and Cycloalkanes
- Stereochemistry Chiral Molecules
- Ionic Reactions Nucleophilic Substitution and Elimination Reactions of Alkyl Halides
- Alkenes and Alkynes I Properties and Synthesis. Elimination Reactions of Alkyl Halides
- Alkenes and Alkynes II Addition Reactions
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Mass Spectrometry Tools for Structure Determination
- Radical Reactions
- Alcohols and Ethers Synthesis and Reactions
- Alcohols from Carbonyl Compounds Oxidation–Reduction and Organometallic Compounds
- Conjugated Unsaturated Systems
- Aromatic Compounds
- Reactions of Aromatic Compounds
- Aldehydes and Ketones Nucleophilic Addition to the Carbonyl
- Carboxylic Acids and Their Derivatives Nucleophilic Addition–Elimination at the Acyl Carbon
- Reactions at the A Carbon of Carbonyl Compounds Enols and Enolates
- Condensation and Conjugate Addition Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds More Chemistry of Enolates
- Phenols and Aryl Halides Nucleophilic Aromatic Substitution
- Amino Acids and Proteins
- Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis